DETAILED LESSON PLAN - INTERMEDIATE
NOTE: Heavy weather sailing and the order of these lessons will be dependent on weather conditions.
The first lesson will be a review/refresher for those who have taken the Basic Course in prior years.
- Points of Sail.
- Tacking, Jibing.
- Heaving to.
- Tack Back MOB.
- Downwind sailing. Jibing. Wing & Wing.
- Knot craft. Sheet bend. Whipping a line.
- Docking procedures. Use of spring lines.
- Man overboard using figure 8.
- Anchoring. Marking anchor location with mooring buoy. Hand signals.
- Navigation tools. Dividers, drawing compass. Parallel rulers.
- Reading charts. Compass Rose. Lat/Long. UTM coordinates. Nautical charts. Work sheet.
- Plan a trip to Bird Island
LESSON 5 Night Sailing
- Navigating to Bird Island. GPS & waypoints. Compass & chart work.
- Reefing when it’s too late.
- Right of way scenarios. Work Sheet.
- VHF procedures. May Day. Pan pan. Sécurité.
- Safety. Tethering, jack lines, chest harness, reefing.
- Identifying navigation lights at night.
- MOB at night.
- GPS for night navigation.
LESSON 6 Practicum/Written Test
- An assessment of all Intermediate topics, with random maneuvers requested and evaluated by the instructor.