DETAILED LESSON PLAN - INTERMEDIATE
- Downwind sailing. Wing & wing. Lee shore concerns.
- Understanding lift, drag, balance and using speed instruments as trim guides. Coiling lines.
- MOB scenarios using mechanical advantage.
- Sail trim on all points of sail.
- Sailing a figure 8. Diamond of Doom, the seaquel.
- Dropping the mast. How to . . .
- Knot craft. Sheet bend. Whipping a line.
- Docking procedures. Use of spring lines.
- Navigation using LOP, paper charts and sighting compass.
- Navigation tools. Dividers, drawing compass. Parallel rulers. Station finder. Pelorus.
- Anchoring with bow and stern anchors. Marking anchor location with mooring buoy. Hand signals.
- Picking up mooring.
- Running aground. Kedging off.
- How to display an anchor ball.
- Climbing the mast. Bosun’s chair. Climbing harness.
- Man overboard using figure 8.
- Adjusting standing rigging. Loose gauge.
- Sailing back to the slip. No outboard. Docking under sail only.
- Night Sail.
- Identifying navigation lights at night. Reading an Isobar chart.
- Celestial navigation basics.
- MOB at night.
- Reefing at night.
- Using ships compass for headings at night.
- Heavy Weather sailing.
- Reefing when it’s too late.
- Heaving to.
- Running bare pole with drogue/warp.
- VHF procedures. May Day. Pan pan.
- Tethering and chest harness.
- Coiling a line.
- Motion sickness medications.
- A review of all Intermediate topics, with random maneuvers requested and evaluated by instructor.
- Practicum & Exam.